There are too many barriers to accessing the education and experience required to become a footwear designer in the sports industry. Rather than waiting on higher education to solve some of those obstacles, we created a solution to this problem by building a new pathway for creators to pursue a career in footwear design: S.E.E.D. (School for Experiential Education in Design).
S.E.E.D. is a 2-year program at the Adidas Brooklyn Creator Farm in partnership with Pensole Academy that acts as an alternative to university education for Footwear Design. The program is an Open-Source education model meaning that we tap industry experts inside and outside of the Adidas brand to teach, guide, and mentor students while they work on developing Leadership and Design skills through working on real products that will go to market. The program pipelines diverse talent directly into full-time positions on an expedited timeline. Below are the qualifications and some highlights of the program.
– Over 18 years old (as of July 1, 2022)
– BIPOC women
– Interested in pursuing a full-time career in Footwear Design
– Able and willing to work in our Brooklyn, NY office (The Brooklyn Creator Farm) for the duration of the program)
– Authorized to work in the U.S.
– Paid NY minimum wage (40 hours/week) and a monthly stipend for housing
– Full Health Benefits, 401K, Stock Purchase Plan
– Internal employee at Adidas (receive all benefits of Adidas employees, i.e. 50% off products, access to internal network/resources, etc)
– Guaranteed Full Time Footwear Design position at adidas upon successful completion of the program